Monday 6 June 2011

Benefit Cosmetics, all singing, all dancing, audition!

Just received my acceptance letter to HKUST, beginning in September, so a job for the Summer is on the cards to allowing me, upon my arrival in Hong Kong to travel freely and spend too much money on Kimonos and cosmos.


Bringing me to the topic of conversation, Benefit Cosmetics and the countless blogs I read before going to my audition detailing the overly intense pressurised environment in which you would be forced to master calligraphy to embellish extravagant works of art on customer's faces whom you had plucked from the crowd, preying especially upon old grannies and young toddlers. LIES.

I was in fact so shocked at how enjoyable the audition was after I had finished that I mentioned to the area manager about some of the horror stories displayed across the Internet, at which point she asked me if I might kindly write something in contrast to these!

So, here's a step by step method to passing a Benefit Cosmetics audition (with flying colours). Now, I don't claim to be professional in the area, I have never worked with make-up or cosmetics.. apart from the stuff I paste onto my face in copious amounts most mornings. And I have never, ever, worked in retail. It is from this why I assume they picked up on my fortΓ© in sales! ENOUGH ABOUT ME. More about getting this job..

The perks of which are; about £6.75 an hour, plus 2% commission on everything you sell and a sort of 'golden hello' in the form of £200 worth of free make-up when you start (£150 for part-time work).

STEP ONE - You've passed the telephone interview.
Easy peazy lemon squeezy. (Why do you want to work for Benefit over other cosmetics counters? What will you bring to the company? Any experience in Sales? Have you had to work towards targets? Can you tell me something about the company? Which of our products do you like? ETC.) Done.

STEP TWO - OMG, what am I going to wear!?

For me, they specified, black. At the audition three candidates out of seven got through. I wore black hareem trousers & a tee shirt. Another girl wore a black dress and the final girl wore black skinny jeans and a tee shirt. It doesn't matter. Shoes, be comfortable. Makeup, you don't have to be Leonardo Davinci (sp?).. Just appear presentable and to be wearing some makeup! Girls went with loads, girls went with minimal, it wasn't taken into consideration as much as you'd think. Plus they put more on you anyway so wear makeup that other things can be blended on top of! Hair, down, up, either, or, clean & tidy.


STEP THREE - The Arrival.

First impressions are everything. Fact. Be bright, bubbly, outgoing & friendly. Sickly sweet is always a bonus! Just MAKE SURE YOU'RE NOTICED. They love words like honey, babe, sweetie, lovely, darling.. but if they don't come out of your mouth naturally, don't say them, I didn't!

STEP FOUR - The chat about the company.


Have a Benefit product ready that's you're absolute favourite, and why you love it soooo much. Be overly enthusiastic and it's like O.M.G. AMAZING. Cringe, I know, but whatever, it's a good brand. Couple of things to know about the company, who founded it, when it was founded, they don't advertise which is why traffic stopping is so important, they want to give people a lasting experience to keep them coming back.
*FUN FACT OF THE BLOG* Benetint was actually created for an exotic dancer to make her nipples pink!

STEP FIVE - The role play & traffic stopping.


The following is what they're going to want you to do/say, and for the sake of the audition say/do it. When you're out traffic stopping, you can tailor it to make it more 'you', because disgustingly loving isn't everyone's cuppa! Okay, here goes..

You: *Approach customer, touch them on shoulder, be quite close to them* Hi honey! OMG, LOVE the bag! How are you today?
Customer: Fine thanks, you?
You: I'm great thanks! Now, can I ask, have you ever heard of Benefit Cosmetics?
Customer: No.
You: OMG! *literal shock horror face* You haven't?!?! Let me show you something, come with me!

Customer: Sorry, I don't have time.
You: Do you know what, snap! I've got about 5 minutes until my lunch, c'mon it won't take a second!


*Top tip* In the real deal, when you're approaching a real live person, maybe add in some stuff about you're not trying to sell them anything (eventhough ultimately you are) and that you're not taking any of their makeup off.

You'll practice this role play infront of the group, quite funny really.. but laugh on the inside.. people get really into it.

STEP 6 - The makeupper.

The products you'll normally use, although may vary slightly are:

Dr. Feelgood
You Rebel
Benetint/Posietint

High Beam

They show you how to apply them. I've never done makeup and it was easy. They'll also tell you what to talk about, some of the ingreidients.. if you read up on these before that's handy but it's stuff that can all be learn't on the day. You practice these on eachother.

STEP 7 - The audition.

They admit to you before you go out that it is a numbers thing, and it's all about bums on seats. Not about selling, but about getting people in. So just go and ask everyone, EVERYONE. And if you do that.. then there's no way you can't do it!

STEP 8 - The formal.

If you pass the audition, which you will - think positive. You're invited for a formal interview straight after.

Prepare for the following types of questions:
When have you dealt with a difficult customer/ what did you do?
What experience do you have in sales?
How do you feel about targets? Can you tell me about a time you've worked towards a target?
What qualities do you think you'll bring to the Benefit brand?
How do you feel about working as a team? Example of working as a team?
When have you had to deal with a sensitive subject and how did you go about it?


STEP 9 - You win some, you lose some!

They'll tell you on the spot (this happens very rarely, but was the case with me ;]), or within the next few days if you got the job.

All the best!

JHMM

20 comments:

  1. hey, i also have an audition on wednesday and i can not tell you how scared i am!! although this made me feel slightly better after all the horror stories ive read!On step 2 you said only 3 got through how did that work?? Do you have a target to meet in the audition? Also do they just let you go through your 4 hours or tell you at the end? i've never felt as nervous for an interview as i have for this!! :( if you do have any more tips please feel free lol!
    Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda! Don't worry about it seriously, it's actually fun! Where's your audition. Only 3 got through from the audition, at intervals throughout the manager does come over and say if they think you're right for the job or not. It can be at any time within the 4 hours they do this.. but apart from that if you've lasted then you get through to the formal interview which is good! Just be really outgoing, go and ask everyone that's in the store.. just say 'Hi, have you ever heard of benefit cosmetics' ..they reply either yes or no then just say 'We've got some products that we're promoting at the moment if you want to come and try some! Don't worry you don't have to buy and I'm not going to be taking your makeup off or anything!' Any more questions just ask :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. you don't have a target, just have to keep getting people in and sat down in a reasonable amount of time inbetween.. so as soon as you finish with one person, get out there and be on the look for your next client. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad i read this, I have my audition tomorrow and I'm so nervous (i'm confident but also naturally very panicky lol!) and after reading all the horror stories on the internet, this made me feel so much better!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jessica,

    My name is Dinar and I am a beauty blogger from London. I have my audition next week and I have never been more nervous for an interview than I have for this job. Funny thing is I am quite confident about the beauty aspect of it, but the talking to strangers makes me go all funny. Do you have any additional tips for step 3?

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks so much for this post, im feeling the pressure. hopefully ill get to the second round. any tips on what to do if they say they havmt got time, or just no they dont want to come with you???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, loved reading this as I was just successful at a benefit audition also! Great review... I just put up one on my blog if you want to check it out :) http://farrah-mayarcher.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya, I just recently had an audition for benefit and suprisingly I actually enjoyed it, read the details on my blog http://alxandrascloset.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/benefit-cosmetics-audition.html x I hope this helps out anyone preparing to go for an audition soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, great blog post (even if years old it still works!). I have just applied for a job with Benefit and this really has shown me what I need to think about if I get an interview. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had my Audition today, got through to the formal interview that I'll be notified about by telephone. There's a lot of posts online that's almost scaring people away from auditions with Benefit. You really only need to be bubbly, get as many bums in chairs as you can, ASK EVERYONE young and old! My main line was "Hi, would you like a free makeover today?" and ALWAYS wear a smile. Sometimes you find mature ladies assume the products are only for younger people because of the cute packaging but reassure them that its time to get gorgeous no matter what the age! Don't focus on selling the product but do try to sell at least one item! Porefessional is a great, easy product to sell because of its visible results! Also remember to have fun and if you don't feel it's right for you just talk to the manager! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey! I had my interview today, but prior to it i was super nervous as I really wanted the benefit job! I googled and googled and all it did was worry me! Although this blog was great and is a great explanation on what happens during the day!

    Almost every blog I saw said how they had a phone interview before and then where invited to an audition although this was not the case for me! I visited the benefit website and saw that there was an open audition at my local house of fraser so i thought what the hell its worth a shot! I went along and there where a que of people waiting to be interviewed, I waited my turn at the end to be told that I had been successful and that they wanted me back in the afternoon. So i went back expecting there to be loads of girls but it was just me and another girl which was fantastic!

    We did our training on how to traffic stop and what to say, although I just said 'Hey have you heard of benefit cosmetics?' followed by 'fantastic, well today we are offering free make overs it will only take 5 minutes I promise'. Then we were taught how to apply the products, I was taught how to apply - Its Potent, Porefessional, You Rebel, Benetint, High beam and then leave them to experiment with They're real after.

    Then it was time to be let loose on the customers! I walked round the store and must have asked about 20 ladies before I finally got lucky and found a lady willing to let me give her a makeover! I brought her over to the counter and applied the make up - it was soo fun!! I was just chatting away like the customers where my friends! In the end I managed to get 6 girls to sit down and did one sale! I was very impressed. I had then been told that I had passed the audition, then straight after I did an interview!

    It was super easy, I was just asked why i want to work there, what I have been doing, how i would handle tricky customers etc! Then had been told I had got the job! Soo happy but without seeing this blog I would not have known how to handle today or what attitude to have.

    The other girl unfortunately decided it was not for her and left early, this also gave me an advantage! I have no beauty qualifications so anyone out there who does read this, don't panic - be yourself, have fun, treat the customers like they're your friends you have some great chats. Best of luck to you aspiring benebabes!! hahaha :)



    This blog was great and everything said did happen in mine. Although today I was very lucky as it was only me and one other girl in my audition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg thankyou for your comment, my interviews in 4 days and im so scared

      Delete
  12. I had my counter audition yesterday and had an absolute blast!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Benefit’s packaging is really alluring! :D
    xo,
    ~Pauline @ Benefit makeup Philippines

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi everyone,well today I had my formal interview first which I passed and then did my audition also passed the phone interview,it was so fun I enjoyed every bit of it,was told that once scoring is done we will get a call for the outcome,just be your self and get as many bums on seats even if you don't sell but it is a bonus if you do,will let you know if I got the job

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got the job 😊😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I went for my interview today.... And I got 3 people to sit down we had to get 3. And sold 2 products.. I'm wondering did they call u off a private number?? I've missed a call before now I'm freaking out thinking it was them. :( xxx

      Delete
  16. A very excellent blog post. I am thankful for your blog post. I have found a lot of approaches after visiting your post. CBD Topicals

    ReplyDelete